Hernia is a condition in which an organ pushes the muscle or tissue that holds it in place creating an opening in the tissue.
Hernia are commonly seen in the abdomen, but also can be visible in the belly button, upper thigh and groin areas. Hernia are not mostly life threatening, but it can create dangerous complications & pain. So it is better to treat it as soon as it is detected. The one and only solution or treatment for hernia is surgery.
The combination of muscle weakness & strain are the major cause that leads to hernia. Depending on the cause of hernia, these can develop over a long period of time or can develop so quickly.
Causes of muscle weakness are :
- Severe coughing.
- Damage caused from an injury.
- Failure of the abdominal wall to close appropriately in the womb.
There are some factors that strain your body & thus can leads to hernia, especially when your muscles are weak. These factors are :
- Constipation – causes strain when having a bowel movement.
- Pregnancy – insert pressure on your abdomen.
- While lifting weight.
- Gaining of weight.
- Continues coughing or sneezing.
Symptoms of Hernia :
The most common symptom of hernia is a lump or bulge in the affected area.
Other symptoms are :
- Discomfort or pain in the affected area.
- Heaviness in the abdomen or feeling weakness.
- Feeling of aching or burning on the bulge.
- Difficulty while swallowing.
- Chest pain.
In some other cases, hernias will not exhibit any symptoms, so these can be visible only by a routine medical checkup.